Prevention & Control Recommendations
With regards to prevention, the WHO recommends the application of basic infection control precautions, including basic hygiene measures, respiratory etiquette and food safety practice, to reduce exposure and transmission of the disease.
The main recommendations are the following:
1. Avoid close contact with patients with respiratory infections;
2. Wash hands frequently, especially after direct contact with sick people;
3. Adopt respiratory tag measures: cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing (with tissue or arm, never with your hands; throw the tissue in the trash);
4. Wash your hands whenever you blow, sneeze or cough;
5. Avoid unprotected contact with wild or farm animals;
6. If you have symptoms of this disease and have returned in the last 14 days from an area with active community transmission, call the SRS Madeira line: 800 24 24 20.